KUALA LUMPUR, April 15,2009 — malaysianinsider
The 10 Barisan Nasional (BN) rebel assemblymen who boycotted yesterday’s Terengganu state assembly sitting turned up this morning after being ordered to do so by Umno president Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
But it is understood the “revolt” against Terengganu Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Said is far from over.
Ahmad’s position as mentri besar still appears untenable as he has lost the support of more than just the backing of the 10 BN men.
The Malaysian Insider understands that Putrajaya as well as the Terengganu palace are still in favour of his removal as MB.
Steps are being made to convince Ahmad to hand over power in a smooth transition.
In recent days, the state was roiled by rumours that BN assemblymen planned to table a no-confidence vote against Ahmad.
But yesterday, 10 assemblymen instead skipped the legislative sitting, citing death threats they allegedly received through text messages from aides of Ahmad.
Najib said yesterday there was no truth to the allegations.
The seeds of this revolt were planted when Ahmad was put in place as BN’s mentri besar soon after last year’s general elections in place of the incumbent Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh.
Idris was not reappointed due to friction with the Terengganu palace.
However, The Malaysian Insider understands that the palace will have no objections to Ahmad’s removal as MB if he is unable to hold the government together.